Sunday, July 29, 2007

half way there!

So, I ran in the San Francisco half marathon this weekend with some friends. The race was a lot of fun, and I felt pretty good about it - i improved my time by about 19 minutes from my last half marathon and this course was waaaaay harder. The course gave us a great view of different parts of the city: we started near Pier 1 and ran up and around the embarcadero, through Chrissy Field, up the hill to the golden gate bridge, across the bridge and back (by the way, not flat...), through some pretty posh neighborhoods and then ended up in Golden Gate Park. The last 3 miles were the hardest - not because i had just run 10+ miles, but because it was pretty hilly through these neighborhood streets...and not the kind of hills where you think they should legitimately tire you out, but the kind that just make this annoying incline and they waste you! i had to stop for one block...and then got going again. yay for julia to hang in there with me. the fog was in full bloom, but the mist actually felt good to run through...just didn't get a very good view of the bridge. i'll post some pictures when i get them uploaded and get some from others' cameras...and i think ryan even got a video of us crossing the finish line. I'd like to give a shout out to our support crew: Ryan, Leah and Jonathan (Julia's husband). Although i was jealous of their donut and hot chocolate break in between the spots where they cheered us on...it was great to have someone there to keep you going and cheer you in - especially when you know they woke up in the wee hours of the morning to do it! Marathon is in just over two months...we're half way there!

5 comments:

chloe said...

Woohoo! Way to go! You are an inspiration!

Morgan said...

yay maren! Congrats on improving your time too. The Hobble Creek half Marathon is coming up in August, and I am thinking about doing that. We'll see. It has been far too hot to run outside except in the mornings, and well, I'm still "taking a break";) so training has been non-existent! I'm sure I could still do it though, if I started back up right now. What's your mileage right now for your marathon training? Is all going well? I'm excited for you, keep it up!

Molly said...

Honestly, you could not have explained the race better. Those last 3 miles really wore me out, too! I tried to speed up, but literally couldn't. PS--You beat my previous time for this half marathon. You should be incredibly proud of yourself, Miss I-just-had-a-baby!!

megan said...

Good job Mar! Did I tell you my parents are training for the St. George marathon in October? I need to join the crowd....but it's so hard....anyway, good job!

mj said...

yes meg, you do need to join the crowd. i've really enjoyed it this time around...i used to be a run alone type of gal, but it really does give you extra motivation when you are training with others.

and morg, we're doing our 14 miler on saturday. the marathon we wanted to do just filled up, so we're looking for another one aroudn the same date. totally do the hobble creek half. i've heard good things about it!