Saturday, December 29, 2007

a roller-coaster year

one year ago today, i joined my mom at the huntsman cancer institute in the "infusion suite" to sit with her while she experienced her first of four rounds of chemotherapy infusions. although i would never wish her experience on anyone, how grateful i am for the experience to try and be a shoulder to lean on. i was also able to go to her 2nd infusion on january 19th (when this picture was taken...don't mind the chubby, 7 1/2 month pregnant face) and then i moved to california the next week. it has been a year of ups and downs, goods and bads, highs and lows...but i am happy to say she came out on top. and she won the hair growing contest. we love you shmoj.

kelli, karen and maren - january 19, 2007 - 2nd chemotherapy infusion

4 comments:

Karen Hauley said...

What a blessing to have my children support me through my cancer ride this past year. I am very grateful to have come through 2007 feeling better than I did at the end of 2006. It's been a lot of work to regain health and strength, and I still have farther to go, but I am grateful for life's lessons. Once again, "There is no chance, no destiny, no fate, that can hinder or control the firm resolve of a determined soul." (Ella Wheller Wilcox)
But I would add . . . anyone thinking that the human soul has power to conquer alone is sadly mistaken.

carolee said...

YAY!! We're so glad your mom is okay!!

Alysha said...

I am so glad that your mom is doing better. What a trial that must have been and you were right there for her. What a neat family you have.
Oh, and I loved the 10 month pictures as always! That is great that she is doing so well and gaining weight. :)

jularun7 said...

you are an inspiration, karen.