Sunday, March 30, 2014

lambs and lions and such

March came in like a lion and out like a lamb, that much is true (thank goodness for that lamb part). But it was a really, really big lion and an unusually small lamb. And it was also pretty confused in between. We wore our snow boots, rain boots, regular boots and then some shoes. We donned our winter coats, rain coats, light jackets and once just t-shirts. We had warm days then frigid days. Sunshine then rain. And then more snow. 

Always more snow. 

There were a few afternoons I walked out into the warming Iowa air and thought, "Okay. I can do this. The sun might actually exist." And then the next morning, I did my best to hide my tears as I felt the bitter wind and more freezing temps. 

Always more freezing temps. Painfully freezing temps.

This March, more than ever before, I despised the lion days. Mostly because it wasn't just snow. It was bitter cold winds not meant for human life. And it had just gone on for too long. But this March, more than ever before, I also relished the lamb days. I lived for them. I soaked in every second and sunbeam they had to offer.

So here's to leaving a confused, muddy, mucky, cold and snowy March behind, or I just might make good on my threat to divorce Iowa. Bring on spring!

No comments: