Saturday, March 29, 2014

Nauvoo for the day

Today we drove to Nauvoo so Ryan and I could attend the temple. As it's a 2 hour drive, one way, and each session is 2 hours, this was an all-day activity. We planned to leave just before 7am so I could catch the 9:00 session. We were a little sluggish getting out the door, so as we started our drive, I knew there was no way we were going to make it until the 10:00 session. I fell asleep for part of the drive and when I woke up we were a few miles away from Nauvoo, and it was 8:35. 

Needless to say, Ryan may or may not have obeyed the posted speed limits. But, I made the 9:00 session! 

Ryan took the girls to the visitor's center and to visit with some family friends who happen to be serving a mission there right now. When I was done, we swapped. I was hoping for some sunny weather, but it was completely overcast and really windy. So we took our picnic lunch and ate it in the back of our little car. We were seriously cramped and it was seriously fun. Those girls. 

After lunch we still had more than an hour to spare. We walked around the visitor's center, but after wrangling Kate while watching the movie, I realized that was a futile plan. We loaded up in the car and drove to Carthage Jail. I planned to get the girls out and walk around the grounds, but Kate fell asleep and there was no way I was waking her. So, Leah and I chatted about Carthage for a bit and then we drove back to Nauvoo. 

By this time, Kate woke up and Leah had crashed. As we pulled up to the temple waiting for Ryan to finish, the sun broke through the clouds and the wind stopped. I rolled down the windows and Kate and I got out to enjoy the sunshine. It was good for the soul! 

When Ryan finished, Leah woke up and we walked to the Fudge Shoppe (of course) and soaked in the sun for a few more minutes before turning around and driving home. 

Kate apparently thought her 20  minute slumber was plenty for the DAY and didn't sleep a wink the entire drive home. Instead, she serenaded us with her screams and whines. It was all around lovely. And made me reconsider potential travel with her in the car this summer. I might invest in some ear plugs. For me and Leah. 

All in all, a day well spent with three of my very favorites. 








1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh man, this is the cutest. You 3 in the back seat! A family of four is so great. Your girls are so adorable.