Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tuck Gives - Studio 54

Each year, Tuck puts on a silent and live auction called Tuck Gives - an event created to fund summer internships for Tuck students with nonprofit or public sector organizations. Students, faculty, staff and more donate goods and services from handstitched quilts to weekend getaways to free babysitting to themed dinners for large groups to a plate of cookies. The funds raised supplement the compensation these student interns receive, enabling them to take positions they might not otherwise be able to take. Since its inception in 1996, more than $600,000 has been raised to support 135 interns in 74 organizations worldwide. 

Each year, as a part of the live auction, the students and Tuck community gather together dressed in that year's particular theme. Last year was the roaring 20s and it is the one event I am still sad I missed (I'm still convinced I was born in the wrong decade). This year, the theme was Studio 54 and students dressed up in 70s disco and glam. 

It was nothing short of a miracle that I got Ryan to dress up - he even donned a wig (Kate wasn't very fond of it) 

and bell bottoms (I used some of his old jeans and this tutorial). 

I did my best to get Farrah Fawcett curls with my slow-growing hair that turned out...okay. 

And off we went. 

The auction was loud and crazy and so much fun. Especially the photo booth. 


 

I just love the Tuck community and the lengths they go to to support one another.


As a side note, Ryan and I participated in a Tuck Gives March Madness Bracket. For a $10 buy-in, the top three each received money to bid on items at the silent and live auctions. Mr.  Layton dind't fare too bad, right?

But if you'll look a little farther north, you'll see another familiar name. Bam! Beat him again








No comments: