Friday, May 23, 2014

Flag Ceremony

Leah's school had the best assembly today - a flag ceremony in honor of Memorial Day. 

All the kids wore red, white and blue and they sang a good handful of patriotic songs. 
The local Kiwanis club presented the school with a new flag for the coming year. 
There was an essay contest in the 5th grade about "What the Flag Means to Me" and the winner read her entry (I would have been all over that when I was in 5th grade). 
We all got to say the Pledge of Allegiance (how long has it been?!). 
And they had veterans past and present who have associations with the school or students there attend and be honored (with a military base in a neighboring city, there are a lot!). 

It really was a fantastic morning. It made me so grateful to live in this country and enjoy the freedoms I do and it made me happy all over again to see Leah interacting with others and thriving at school. Can't wait for next year. 

No comments: