Sunday, May 4, 2014

My Family is Blessed...

Leah had the opportunity to give a talk in Primary (the children's group at our church) today. It might seem ironic that someone who can't physically talk would be asked to give a...talk...but we are so blessed to have volunteers in our church who are responsible for the Primary who really believe in Leah and her abilities. 

I sat down with Leah and, with her topic of "Our Families are Blessed when we Follow the Prophet," discussed possible directions for her talk. 

I am being completely honest when I say I probably helped her just as much as I would any other child. We read through a few different talks given recently by our modern-day prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. Leah picked the talk she wanted to focus on. And she was very clear about it!

She then chose each of the parts of the talk she wanted to use. She chose to include part of a song about prophets. And (after suggesting 307 choices), she gave the okay to give three personal examples that related to President Monson's talk. 

The switch she uses is relatively quiet, so it's hard to hear in a big group. So, Leah decided that she would give the intro and closing on her switch and she would let me read the rest of her talk for her. 

Ryan and his parents were all able to see her give it...and she had a few other adults in the room in tears. I really was so proud of her. She worked hard and did so well!!

Our family is blessed with Leah in our lives!





Our Families are Blessed when we Follow the Prophet
Leah Layton Primary Talk || May 4, 2014

Today I’m giving a talk about how families are blessed when they follow the prophet. My mom is going to read the talk for me. 

In the primary song, Follow the Prophet,” the last verse tells us, “Now we have a world where people are confused. If you don’t believe it, go and watch the news. We can get direction all along our way, If we heed the prophets – follow what they say.”
 
Last month, we all had the chance to listen to our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, speak to us in General Conference. 

On Sunday morning, he gave a talk about love. President Monson said, “Every day of our lives we are given opportunities to show love and kindness to those around us.” 

  • This week at my school, we had a walk-a-thon. My friend Addi showed love to me by walking next to me the entire time. It made me feel good inside.
  • I can show love to my little sister Kate by sharing my toys with her and being nice.  
  • Another way we can show our love is just by smiling. Lots of people tell me they can feel my love when I smile. 

President Monson said, “May we begin now, this very day, to express love to all of God’s children.” 

I know our families can be blessed if we follow the prophet. 

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh litte leah. that was beautiful!