Saturday, June 7, 2014

Great Escape take 6: St. George

The fact that the 6th annual Kristen-Lindsey-Maren escape even happened at all is a miracle in and of itself. That it did happen just proves to me that it is meant to be...and will continue to be forever and always. 

With one third of the group in Iowa, one third in Utah and one third in California, there was no convenient meeting spot (again). Beginning in March, we tried to figure out when and where. There was talk of Chicago, until plane tickets and hotel prices decided to be out of this world. Then there was talk of New York City and staying at Kristen's parent's house, but schedules didn't work out for when Kristen would already be back east and plane tickets were still really pricey. Then there was talk of Southern California after Miss Kristen delivered baby #4, but there were too many unknowns and it was too far out to plan. Then I decided that I would be coming to Utah after all. And, miraculously, we all had one weekend - the SAME weekend - that just might, maybe, possibly work. And it did. 

The night after I arrived in Utah, I headed to Lindsey's house to spend the night. A BIG thanks to my mom and Richard for watching my littles!! I know that was no vacation on your end. 

Little did I know, it was National Running Day. So of course two old running partners had to take advantage. So nice to be out in the DRY Utah air on a run with one of my favorites. 

The next morning, we packed up Ed's car (thanks, Ed!) and dropped of Lindsey's kids and headed south. We performed a variety of songs at the top of our lungs, as usual. Our best vocals were probably Dixie Chicks. Apologies to anyone driving by as well as those at the gas station in Beaver. 

When we got to St. George, we started with food, followed by the pool, shopping and a DIY gel manicure at the hotel. 




The next day was more of the same. And it was perfect. Hot, but perfect. Food, pool, primping (love that I have a make up artist and a hair stylist at my disposal!), food, shopping, pedicure (the worst in the history of pedicures), food, and then a photo op at the temple. 













Kristen cleaned out her closet and Lindsey and I were the lucky recipients. Seriously lucky. 

The next day was more of the same. Obviously! We just do what works. Food, pool, primping, food (Swig cookies anyone!?)...then the obligatory picture by the car and goodbyes as we dropped Kristen off at the shuttle to the airport. 










It was quick, yes. But perfect. I really love that these two try just as hard as me to get together annually. And I love that we can just pick up right where we left off. When we started this it was a quick 24-hour trip to San Francisco while our husbands watched our then four combined children. We've been to SF, LA, Monterey, SLC, Vegas and now St. George and we now have 8 almost 9 children between us (I bring that average way down). We don't get to chat daily or watch each others' kids or make our cookies together monthly, but I know I can call or email or text and they are there to chat, I love seeing their kids in pictures and I still think of them every time I frost a sugar cookie. Every time. And I love that we can still be a part of each others' lives even if we live 1,800 miles apart. 

No comments: