Thursday, June 19, 2014

Utah: Provo

After living away from Utah for 8 years now, I will say that one of the things I miss the very most about the Salt Lake Valley is the mountains. Every time I go back, I always find myself caught off guard again by their breathtaking beauty. Each place we have lived is beautiful in its own way, but these mountains are really magnificent.

When we lived in Provo, I always wanted to hike Y Mountain, and for some reason I never did. Neither did Ryan. I lived there for SEVEN years and never took the opportunity. Its been on my to-do list for a few of my recent trips back, but has never happened. This time, we had a spare morning and a babysitter, so we took advantage. 

It's definitely a hike, but on a well-groomed trail made up of about 10 switch backs. We started out before the sun had peaked over the mountain and about a half hour later, we reached our destination. We cruised past a few youth groups, which made both of us feel pretty good! We sat at the top taking in the view, pointing out various buildings on campus, old apartment complexes we lived in, landmarks in the valley and just some memories of our years there. It was such a fun morning relaxing with Ryan and thinking of a very different chapter of our lives. 

After we descended the mountain, we headed to campus to walk around for a bit. We picked up some goodies in the Bookstore (which is now just the BYU Store, apparently?) and stopped by the Counseling Center to see my old office. Most of the counselors were away at a conference, but one of my very favorites, Jim Burton, was at the front desk when we walked in. He happened to have an hour free (I'm pretty sure it was his lunch break), but he was so wonderful to spend it with me and Ryan. We sat in his office for an hour and just chatted. I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again: When I grow up, I want to be more like Jim Burton. He is one of the happiest, most genuine, healthiest and most thoughtful individuals I have ever met in my life. I always walk away uplifted after I have spent time with him and I'm so glad he was available!

After we finished on campus, we headed to Los Hermanos to have lunch with Carl, one of Ryan's good friends and co-workers from college. It was really great to see him again as well. 

After the boys ate lunch, we drove to Waffle Love for me to have my lunch! I had heard really great things about it and wanted to try it out! It was worth it. Super rich and filling, but I will definitely go back! 

It was a quick but fulfilling morning in Provo and so much fun to revisit the place and remember a time where Ryan and I met. 

No comments: