Sunday, May 13, 2007

to my mother...

Elder Holland, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, said of mothers, "You are magnificent. You are doing terrifically well. The very fact that you have been given such a responsibility is everlasting evidence of the trust your Father in Heaven has in you. He knows that your giving birth to a child does not immediately propel you into the circle of the omniscient. If you...will strive to love God and live the gospel; if you will plead for that guidance and comfort of the Holy Spirit promised to the faithful; if you will go to the temple to both make and claim the promises of the most sacred covenants a woman or man can make in this world; if you will show others, including your children, the same caring, compassionate, forgiving heart you want heaven to show you; if you try your best to be the best parent you can be, you will have done all that a human being can do and all that God expects you do to." I know my mom has done these things and more as she raised four children - all of whom I would say have turned out quite well! She even did for a few years on her own while working full time - and I still cannot comprehend how one can do that. I'm not sure I can express in words what I want to express to my mom, but I want her to know how much I love her. I love her for the example of a mother she has been to me. She shows me every day that she loved and still loves being a mother - that she chose that path in her life and does not regret it. She sacrificed more than is imaginable. She has shown me it's okay to make mistakes, but that it's important to learn and grow from them. This past year has been quite a battle for her, but she has been a pillar of strength for me every minute of every day. I love you, mom.