Tuesday, November 3, 2009

gratitude: day 3

today i'm grateful for teaching piano. i have the funniest students. they are all unique. they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. they all have good weeks and bad weeks, but it's so great to see their faces and eyes light up when they master a hard piece or concept. it has been a fun challenge for me to figure out how to successfully teach each of them to learn how to play the piano. some just get it - they have this innate talent and don't have to try very hard. others have to work so hard just for a regular piece. but they all do it! it's been a great thing for me to have something in my life where i can put forth an honest effort and actually see results. i love watching these kids {ok, and adult} fly through their books or look at a recital piece for the first time thinking there is no way they can learn it and then watching them perform flawlessly just months later. i love it.

so, i'm grateful to my mom for making me practice {there mom, i said it}. i'm grateful for my teachers. and now i'm grateful for my students and the opportunity i have to teach.

p.s. ryan is grateful for abraham lincoln.

3 comments:

Karen Hauley said...

One tay, two tay. I don't remember you not wanting to practice piano :). Ryan, Team of Rivals - good book.

Ryan said...

Excellent book!

Jen said...

I love music. I love reading your blog, and tell Ryan, that I too, love Abraham Lincoln. :-) I think I'm going to start the gratitude posts (starting a few days late.)