Friday, June 14, 2013

Tucket List

When we moved to New Hampshire, knowing it was only going to be for two years, I had a list of things I wanted to experience while we were there. Normally something like this is called a Bucket List, but because we were at Tuck, I obviously had to call it the Tucket List. And yes, I'm proud of creating this term. Lots of people use it now. 

Below is my original list, of which I accomplished all but five. That's what reunions are for, right?



1. Visit the Simon Pearce factory store and see the glass blowers work - check.




2. Go to Nathan’s Garden in Hanover. 

This is the one thing that would have been so easy to do and I never did it. It's a fabulous garden tucked away in the streets of Hanover. I kept trying to go there with people and it never worked out. I should have just gone myself!

3. Visit the Dartmouth Skiway - check. 

No pic, but one of our first Tuck activities. 

4. Watch hot air balloons fly at the Quechee (VT) Balloon Festival in June.


I didn't dare attend last summer trying to handle a newborn and Leah all by myself. And this year we moved ONE DAY too early. Really. The festival was Saturday night!


5. Visit the Quechee Gorge and walk down it - check.


 Did this a few times, but my favorite was with my  mom.


6. Hike Mount Gile (Norwich, VT) and climb the fire tower 
 

I heard this was a great view and I missed it during both autumns.


7. Run the Covered Bridges Half Marathon - check.





8. Learn to play hockey - check.
 




9. Climb Baker Tower and look out over the Dartmouth Green - check.


10. See the Book of Mormon at the Rauner Library - check. 
Such a unique area to be in for my religious history.

11. See a Dartmouth football game - check.


 


12. See a Dartmouth hockey game - check.




13. See a Dartmouth basketball game - check. 


 

14. Go snowshoeing - check.



This wasn't official, but I'm counting it because I ran 10 miles on the rail trail and every other person on the trail was either on snow shoes, a sled (with dogs) or a snowmobile. I earned every bit of it, just had the wrong shoes.


15. Go apple picking - check. 


One of the first things I did! Applesauce for two years.


16. Go berry picking - check.



So, so good.


17. Go pumpkin picking - check.





 


18. Hike a portion of the Appalachian Trail - check.



Part of the trail goes right through Hanover. I even did it in heels (immediately after this photo was taken at the Hanover Inn)!


19. Recreate on Dartmouth's Occom Pond - check.


Never skated on it or jumped in, but I ran around it on a weekly basis 

20. Canoe on the Connecticut River- check. 



21. Eat at the Norwich Inn - check. 


No pic, but I ate a delicious meal there for a fabulous friend's baby shower last fall.


22. Be a part of the Tuck Partner Board - check.



Helping Hands Chairperson 2011-2012.


23. Attend winter carnival events - check.
 


I attended all free events and ended up 
selling my poster winning ticket for cash.
 And since the carnival was mostly drinking and I don't drink, 
I think I made the right choice!


24. Visit Montreal 


If there had been one more week, I think we would have done it. 
That whole having-a-baby-and-Ryan-leaving-for-a-summer 
sure threw a kink in some travel plans.


25. Visit NYC - check.
 Lots of times! My two favs:

 
26. Visit Boston - check.

So many times! Mostly for medical purposes, so my favs:

Blue Sky Girls 2011, 2012

 
27. Visit Cape Cod - check.
 
Ran the Cape Cod half marathon twice. 

28. Visit Maine - check.


Once briefly in 2011. 


 
29. Visit Rhode Island - check.

Checked this one off the day before we left.

30. Visit Connecticut - check. 


Thanks Katz and Turley families!


31. Visit Washington, DC - check.

 

Can't wait to go back in 2014

32. Visit Vermont - check.


Almost daily. And on many of my runs!
 
33. Visit the Joseph Smith Birthplace Memorial (esp lighting in December) - check.

 With almost every visitor. Learned something new every time. 

But I loved seeing it at Christmastime with the lights.
 
34. Attend the Dartmouth tree lighting - check.



 
35. Run a Reach the Beach relay race - check.


My initiation into relays. I still laugh when I think about Andrea. 
 
36. Take a factory tour of Ben and Jerry's ice cream plant in VT - check.


 
37. Sample the products at Cabot's store in Vermont - check.

 
38. Go sledding/tubing - check.





39. Learn to ski - check.


 
40. See a local production (Northern Stage Theatre, the HOP, etc.) - check.

No pic, but did this in 2011 to see the fabulous Elissa Jones 
and the Dartmouth Handel Society perform Handel's Messiah. 
 
41. Audit at least one class at Tuck/Dartmouth.


Harder than first imagined. Especially with kids. 


42. Visit the local farmers' markets - check.


No pics, but we made it to Hanover and Lebanon a few different times.
They were good, but I still miss Los Altos.

43. Visit Lake Winnipesaukee - check.
 

I'm a sailor, I sail, ahoy! I guess I didn't sail, but I did run a race!

43. Attend at least one Tuck formal - check. 





44. Take a class at King Arthur Flour - check. 
 

Count 'em one, two, three, four. Lucky me!

45. Have a baby - check. 


No really, it was on my list. 

No comments: